Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Registration and Student Records.

Registration and Student Records


Registrar: Karen Thomas
Colston Hall [CO], Room 513 | 718.289.5710

The Registrar’s Office supplies information to students about registration, grades, scholastic indexes and requirements for graduation. 

Our office supports the college’s overall mission of excellence by providing the following quality services, resources, and processes for the college community:

• ReAdmission

• Registration

  • Auditing classes

  • Requests to take courses at other Colleges

  • Students on Permit from other Colleges

  • Program Allowances and course loads

• Matriculation

  • Classification and Categories (Definitions)

  • Senior Citizens

  • Change of Curriculum Plan

• Withdrawal from College

  • Withdrawal Procedure

  • Medical Emergencies

  • Military Leave

  • Transcripts

• Access to Student Records


After one or more semesters (fall and/or spring) of absence from the College, a student must apply for readmission. Readmission applications are available within the Registrar’s Office and on the web page. Students must pay a $20 non-refundable readmit fee to the Bursar’s Office. Deadlines for the receipt of applications for readmission are Fall Semester, August 15; Spring Semester, January 15; Summer Session, May 15. Readmitted students who have been away from the College for more than a year must prove residency.


All students must register for courses during the official registration period each semester. Students may register using CUNYfirst at the time designated for their classification, beginning with the Early Registration period (late March and late October). The Schedule of Classes Search function and Registration Guide are available online before the announced registration period. Prior to and during registration each semester, students must meet with their Success Coach or advisor in order to register. Late registrants will be charged a late registration fee. The College reserves the right to cancel late registration.

NOTE: Registration is not complete until satisfactory payment arrangements have been made with the Bursar’s Office.

Auditing Classes
A student may audit a course only with official approval. Audit request forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. Approval of the department chairperson is required. Students must register for an audit class in the same manner prescribed for regular classes. Students must also pay the required tuition and fees as if registering for credit in the course. Audited courses are not covered by financial aid. Once registration is completed as an auditor, no credit for that course can be granted retroactively. Auditors are required to observe attendance regulations of the College and must participate in class to the extent deemed reasonable, desirable and necessary by the instructor.  

Requests to take courses at other Colleges
E-permit facilitates the process of CUNY students obtaining permission to register for courses offered at other CUNY colleges. Prior to taking courses at another institution, a student should inquire at the Host College for registration dates and procedures governing permit students. Please note that submission of an e-permit does not automatically register a student for a course nor does issuance of an e-permit guarantee enrollment at the Host College. Once you have enrolled at the Host College, cancellation of an e-permit does not delete your course registration at the Host College. These are student responsibilities in regards to applying for an E-Permit:


  •  A matriculated student currently in attendance at a CUNY college (Home college)

  • Undergraduate students with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.00

  • A student cannot have any holds on his/her record by Bursar, Library, Advisement, etc.

  • A student must meet all Home College registration requirements, such as a completed immunization 

  • Courses taken on permit must meet a specific degree requirement    

  • Non degree BCC students cannot take a course on permit

  • First semester students / Transfer students are not eligible to take courses on permit their first semester at BCC

Make sure you apply for e-permit before the deadline. E-permit forms submitted after the deadline will not be processed. The deadline to submit a permit is the day before the semester begins. Courses and grades on permit cannot be used towards the “F” policy. Courses must be taken at the same institution that the “F” grade was given. Please allow ten business days for the processing of your e-permit. Please make sure there is a valid email address on your permit request.

Once your permit has been approved and processed, a student granted approval to take courses on permit must check their CUNY First Student Center for the registration appointment time from the Host College. Note that an e-permit approval only grants permission to take a course at another CUNY college and does not enroll a student or guarantee a seat in a course. The student with the Host institution should then follow normal registration procedures. The student with the Host institution must register for the course approved on the permit form. If you want to register for another course, you need to cancel the course you do not want and submit another e-permit for approval.

Courses will be transferred to the Home College, recorded with the grade assigned by the Host College and included in the cumulative GPA. The number of credits transferred for each course will be the value assigned by the Host College and not the Home College. The approved permit will show on your schedule as PERM 11 to 18 (one to eight credits.) A student may cancel his/her e-permit request at any time prior to registering at the Host College. An email must be sent to for the course to be removed from your course schedule. Since this course is by permission, students do not have access to drop the course from their schedule. If a student enrolls in a course at the selected Host College and decides not to attend the course, it is the student’s responsibility to cancel the course registration at both the home and host campuses as well as canceling the e-permit request. The student must notify his/her Home College of the cancellation before classes begin to avoid a tuition liability and to prevent any academic consequences. E-permit course cancellation adheres to the CUNY refund policy dates and deadlines published in the academic calendar.

Students must complete a minimum number of credits at their Home institution, including a minimum of the major courses, to satisfy the courses in residence requirement to be eligible for graduation. A student must obtain approval in advance to take courses at another college if they are to be credited toward their degree requirements. Permit credits are coded as transfer credits since the courses are taken outside of BCC. Please note that there is a 30 credit maximum for transfer credit. Any questions, please email

Program Allowances and Course Loads
A matriculated student may apply to the Provost or designee for permission to exceed the maximum permissible student load of 18 credits/equated credits per semester after consulting with his or her adviser. 

Enrolled Student: A student who has paid all tuition and fees or has a payment plan through Nelnet and is attending classes is considered enrolled. The College will bar from classes any student who has never attended during the first three weeks of the traditional fall/spring semester (and analogous dates in summer/winter). The student will be given a grade of “WN” without academic penalty for the course, though tuition/fee charges still apply. (See “Class Attendance” and “Administrative Grades” in the “Academic Policies and Procedures” section of this catalog.) A student maintains standing at the College as long as he or she is enrolled. A student on probation is considered to be warned that they are compiling a record that could lead to loss of matriculation and/or suspension. Students on probation have standing with the College.


Upon admission to the College, a student is designated as matriculant or non-degree. Matriculation status determines the course load a student may carry during a semester and the order of priority in registration. Official determination of scholastic index and certification of matriculation status of students already in attendance are made by the Registrar’s Office in accordance with standards set by the College’s Committee on Academic Standing.

Classification and Categories (Definitions)
Matriculated Student: A student who is a candidate for an associate degree or certificate and has met the basic college admission requirements is classified as a matriculant. A matriculant may carry a full or part-time program of courses leading to a degree. A matriculant may register for day and/or evening classes, according to choice and the availability of class space. A full-time course load is a minimum of 12 credits or equated credits. To graduate in four semesters, a minimum of 15 credits is to be taken and passed in each semester, on average. For purposes of Selective Service, state scholarships and foreign student visa status, a student must carry a full-time load or its equivalent. Students taking fewer than 12 credits, or the equivalent, are not considered full time for purposes of Scholar Incentive Awards, Selective Service or U.S. Immigration Service. 

Non-degree Student: A non-degree student is one who is not admitted into a degree-granting program. A non- degree student may apply for matriculated status.

Senior Citizens
Residents of New York City, 60 years and older, may enroll in undergraduate courses on a space-available basis, tuition-free at any unit of the University. Individuals seeking this waiver must present proof of age at the time of Admission and specify that they wish to participate in this program to receive the CUNY senior citizen rate. They are charged $65 per semester and a $15 City University consolidated fee, as well as any penalty fees that may incur (e.g., late registration payment, reprocessing fees, library fines). They are not charged any other regular fees. The $80 is non-refundable and considered a non-instructional fee. Students enrolled at the senior citizen rate do not earn college credit.

Change of Curriculum Plan
For a change of curriculum major (plan) and/or option (subplan), a student must contact the Registrar’s Office and complete a Change of Major (plan) and Option (subplan) form. This form can also be downloaded from the Bronx Community College website. A student may change a curriculum no later than the 21st day of each semester. Once the change has been approved, a student must meet the prescribed requirements for the new curriculum. Credits taken and earned in the student’s former curriculum may not necessarily be applicable to the new curriculum. A determination of the transferability of credits from one curriculum to another rests with the new Curriculum Coordinator, in accordance with appropriate policies. 

It is strongly recommended that students consult with a Financial Aid Counselor regarding TAP eligibility and conduct a preliminary degree audit (DegreeWorks) to understand the impact of the change in curriculum.


Students officially withdrawing from the College during the refund liability period may do so online using their CUNYfirst account. Students withdrawing for medical reasons may do so by mail or in person. All written documentation submitted within the refund liability period will be reviewed by the Registrar’s Office. All written documentation submitted after the refund liability period should be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar in Colston Hall [CO], Room 513. The date of the medical withdrawal will be determined by the date specified on the documentation submitted. The letter should include:

  • The reason for withdrawal

  • A listing of the student’s courses and section numbers

  • Any supporting documentation

To avoid academic penalty, students should be certain to receive and keep written acknowledgment of their withdrawal. Students are urged to seek guidance before withdrawing from the College. Counseling and advisement prior to the final decision to withdraw may make it feasible to remain in College. If a student does not withdraw officially, there may be financial and academic penalties (see “Withdrawal Procedure”). Under special circumstances, if withdrawal is made within the third week after opening of classes, proportional refunds of tuition fees only may be made according to a schedule prescribed by the Board of Trustees. An application for a refund of tuition fees should be made to the Registrar.

Withdrawal Procedure
Students wishing to officially withdraw from any course they are registered for may do so at any time through the final regular class session (this excludes the final exam period). During the regular 15-week Fall/Spring semester, the W grade procedure is as follows. No grade will be assigned if the student withdraws during the first week of class. If the student withdraws during the second or third week of class, a grade of “WD” will be assigned. After the third week of classes, a student will be assigned a “W” grade indicating that they officially withdrew from the course. In order to be eligible for a grade of “W,” a student must initiate the official withdrawal process online through their CUNYfirst account. Official withdrawals will not be processed after the official withdrawal period has ended.

Medical Emergencies
A student who experiences a medical emergency during the semester should consider discussing alternatives with a counselor regarding current and future academic plans. Some of these alternatives are continuation of attendance, a leave of absence, or a program adjustment. A recommendation from a physician will help in determining what options are feasible. This recommendation, which is filed in the Health Services Office, is useful information to the College and beneficial to the student should the student require any medical services while on campus.

Military Leave
Students who enlist in the armed forces or who are inducted or recalled into service must present and place on file at the College a copy of the official induction notice indicating the exact date on which they must report for duty. Additional information regarding special provisions for students in the military can be found in Appendix C.


Transcripts may be requested in the Registrar’s Office or through the College’s website at Transcripts sent to colleges within The City University of New York are forwarded free of charge if ordered in-person and online. For all other requests, there is a standard fee of $7 if ordered in-person; payable by cash or money order and $11.90 for online orders; payable by credit or debit card. For faster service, all transcripts (official and unofficial) may be ordered online using “Parchment®.“ A link is available from the Registrar’s Office webpage. Official transcripts bear the College seal and the signature of the Registrar. Official transcripts sent to other institutions or agencies are sent at the request of the student. A student may print unofficial transcripts free of charge for personal use through CUNYfirst, at the Student Center.

Change of Student Address/Contact Information
Each student is responsible for ensuring the College has the most recent contact information (address, phone numbers and preferred email address) on record.   To update any part of your contact information you can log into CUNYFirst and click on Student Center, and then the Profile tab, and edit accordingly. Students can also visit in person the Registrar’s office located in Colston Hall [CO], Room 513.


The Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and regulations grant students the right to be advised of:

  • The types of student records and the information contained therein which are maintained by the College

  • The name and position of the official responsible for the maintenance of each type of record, the persons who have access to those records and the purposes for which they have access

  • The policies of the College for reviewing and expunging those records

  • The procedures for granting students access rights to their student records

  • The procedures for challenging the content of their student records

  • The cost, if any, which will be charged to students for reproducing copies of their records

A student must file a Directory Information Non- Disclosure Form with the Registrar’s Office to prevent the disclosure of directory information such as name, address, telephone number, etc.